Saturday, November 1, 2008

Urban Inspiration

As you all know, one of my favorite blogs out there is Rescuing Providence, written by Mike Morse, a lieutenant on the Providence (RI) Fire Department, where he works on one of the country's busiest ambulances.

I especially liked his latest post, which I've linked here.

It made me think of all the times where an extra moment to take a closer look at my patient as a person has reaped amazing rewards.

I've been blessed to serve Holocaust survivors and war heroes, Gold Glove boxers and a novelist or two, General Patton's driver from WWII, long-forgotten celebrities and, once, a woman who was raised in the Philippines practically as a member of General Douglas "I Shall Return" MacArthur's family, and who went to elementary school with the children of Dwight Eisenhower, one of the most important figures in U.S. history.

These were interesting people and I am a better person for having met them.

They are proof positive that beneath the surface of some of these silly EMS calls we go on there occasionally lies gold.

No comments: