Wednesday, November 12, 2008

EMS Longevity

Work EMS for any length of time and you're bound to eventually question whether you've got the stamina to make a career of it.
We all know the challenges.
It was refreshing, therefore, to read this article by a guy who's been doing EMS for 24 years in North Carolina.
I hope when I've been doing it that long that I'll be half as optimistic as the column's author, Robert Powers.
I don't see why not.
I look at the ways EMS has improved since I worked my first shift as a Basic at MedTrans in 1995.
The field is dramatically better in almost every respect, and I have no reason to expect that this won't continue.
Like I tell myself whenever I respond to the wet shelter in The Big City for the fourth or fifth time in a shift -- this job may be hard, but it still beats working for a living...

1 comment:

Michael Morse said...

Hello Ted, longevity is all in the mind. This is a great job, my only hope is for people not working for fire departments can start getting the pay and benefits they deserve.

Congratulations, you have won a Bookworm Award!