Monday, December 28, 2009

Going, going, going.........

This is the infamous MAHOPS patch I wrote about earlier.
Let's review, counter-clockwise from top left:
Emerson -- gone
Holyoke Hospital -- gone
Lawrence General Hospital -- Active
Greater Lowell (aka Saints) -- Active
Milford 2181 -- gone
Caritas Norwood -- gone
Southshore Hospital -- gone
UMassMemorial -- Active

That's five out of eight hospital-based ALS units out of business since 2005, when this patch was created.

I could have included the Natick-based MetroWest Medical Center unit that was shut down just prior to this patch's conception, or UMass's ALS-2 out of Marlboro Hospital, which closed in 2000 or 2001 (I forget). If we REALLY wanted to round out the roster of shuttered non-transport, hospital-based services we could include the likes of St. Lukes in New Bedford and NSP-1 out of Lahey Clinic in Burlington.

I'm tempted to include the paramedic unit out of the Jordan Hospital in Plymouth, but I think that would just be piling on as, from my understanding, that was a partnership between the hospital and AMR.

No comments: