Wednesday, August 20, 2008

North Brookfield On The Ropes?

From the Things Are Tough Everywhere file, this story about the financial woes of North Brookfield EMS.
I hate to see these third-service non-profits have such tough times. My first job as a Paramedic was with New Britain EMS in New Britain, Conn., a third-service non-profit with loose ties to the former New Britain General Hospital (it now has some new convoluted name that I can't even begin to remember).
I loved every minute I worked there.
There are numerous examples of such services thriving here in Massachusetts -- Spencer Rescue and Webster EMS come immediately to mind -- but obviously the financials can seem insurmountable.
On an editorial note, and although all I know of the proposed contract with the town is from what I read in the paper, I'd have to agree that it would be cost-prohibitive for a town with a call volume as low as North Brookfield's to insist on TWO 24/7 dual medic trucks dedicated solely to 911 calls.
Frankly, I don't know how they'd pay for it.
I wish North Brookfield EMS all the best.

No comments: